Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Microblogs #10 - Living with Complexity

References:
Title: Living with Complexity
Author: Donald A. Norman
Editor: Julie Norman, 2011

Chapter #1:
Summary:
In this chapter, Norman describes his definition of complexity and how we sometimes actually like it. He talks about how for devices people get frustrated with only a small amount of difficulty. However, for devices like musical instruments, which are extremely complicated, people actually enjoy spending time learning.

Discussion:
I thought his point about the complexity of musical instruments was actually quite interesting. I never really thought about how I treated the complexity of musical instruments from other devices.


Chapter #2:
Summary:
In this chapter, Norman discusses how simplicity is more often something we perceive than is actually there. He talks about how simple outer interfaces mean more complex innards, as well as how simplicity never sells.

Discussion:
This chapter was interesting because I thought he comment on how complex things sell better was funny yet true. I always try to get hardware that has more features, but at the same time I am willing to take a learning curve. I am sure others do so while simultaneously asking for simplicity -- which, while not impossible like Norman says -- is certainly difficult.


Chapter #3:
Summary:
In this chapter, Norman describes how quickly simple objects can become complex. From doorknobs to books, lack of standardization and difficult organization can make complexity from simplicity. However, these problems can be fixed by additional organization and correct design.

Discussion:
This chapter was interesting because of the toilet paper example. When he started the first thing I thought of was having two rolls with one restricted, but I liked hearing about why having two open rolls was a bad idea. I think this example was the best way to illustrate his point.


Chapter #4:
Summary:
In this chapter, Norman describes what he calls social signifiers -- or affordances created through the influences of others. From following other peoples' behaviors to the influences of culture, how we use and perceive an object and its state can be heavily affected by how others do.

Discussion:
This main thing that interested me in this chapter was his example of a computer program that created wear and tear on heavily used objects. I thought this was a great, natural way of displaying this information that I would never have thought of until I heard it.

No comments:

Post a Comment